Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Reading with dad by Richard Jorgensen

Recently all branches of the library celebrated Family Literacy Day at which time we recognized the importance of reading with and to children. That, and the fact that February is I LOVE TO READ MONTH, inspired me to talk about a children’s book today.

I, like many librarians love reading children’s books and find something deeply satisfying about reading a children’s book that pulls at the heartstrings. Let’s face it, often - it is when reading children’s picture books that we allow ourselves to unabashedly show our emotions. How many us still cry when reading Robert Munsch’s Love You Forever.

I recently read Richard Jorgensen’s Reading With Dad and it elicited the same response that I have when I read Love You Forever. In this book a father and child share a lifetime love of reading. But while the book plays on our emotions it also has a wonderful message about the joy of reading together, of sharing our stories, and the importance of a father’s role in the life of his child.

The lyrical, rhyming prose is easy to read, and a little reminiscent of Dr. Seuss. The simple drawings give the book a wonderful poignancy.

I heartily recommend this book for readers of any age.

No comments:

Post a Comment