Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Chalice by Robin McKinley

February is “I Love to Read Month”, and as I’ve done in other years, all this month I’ll be passing on some of the titles that staff have loved to read during the past year.

It’s not too often that I feature fantasy, so when one of the staff recommends something from the genre, I’m eager to pass it on. Linda in our Winkler Branch strongly recommends Robin McKinley’s new book, Chalice.

The demesne of Willowlands, is in a state of crisis. The former ruler and his Chalice had abused their power and died without heirs. Now the land is literally and metaphorically being torn apart. Mirasol, a bee keeper is stunned to learn she is the new Chalice despite having no training. The new Master is no longer quite human and cannot touch anything without burning it. Together they must heal their broken land.

Lynn Rutan, in Booklist writes “Themes of stewardship, beekeeping, and the power of duty and love flow through the story like the honey described so temptingly”.

During I Love to Read month I hope you share a book you’ve loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment