Tuesday, December 25, 2012

I am half sick of shadows by Alan Bradley



I am a fan of Alan Bradley’s Flavia De Luce series.  I have talked about these quirky mysteries featuring a pre-teen Flavia De Luce before.  The last book in the series so far, is # 4 I am half sick of shadows, and it is a Christmas-themed mystery.  I read this book a year ago when it first came out, and really enjoyed it.

In this novel, eleven-year-old chemistry whiz, Flavia de Luce, has whipped up an ingenious plan to ensnare St. Nick on Christmas Eve.  However, her father has agreed to rent out the crumbling manor house to a film crew.  The movie stars a famous diva and when the entire village assembles at the manor to watch her perform they get more than they expect.  Before the evening is over, there is a murder, and the raging blizzard outside prevents anyone from getting in or out.  Flavia must use every means available to her to catch the murderer among them.

If you are not a fan of the usual Christmas titles, you might give this one a try.  But I would suggest reading numbers 1, 2, and 3 first in order to get an understanding of the characters.  What I especially enjoyed about this installment in the series is how Flavia’s relationship with her sisters changes; and that feels like a Christmas present for fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment