Monday, December 8, 2014

Liz's Favourites



Well, this is my last OFF THE SHELF.  As many know, I am retiring.  It has been an honour offering these book suggestions every week.  There have been almost 300 in total, and I thank CFAM for allowing me this time to spend with you.  Today they are allowing me to indulge myself and offer up a list of my favourite books.  

Children’s books:
Jeremiah learns to read by Jo Ellen Bogart
Our Library by Eve Bunting illustrated by Maggie Smith
Porcupine in a Pine Tree by Helaine Becker (I love the illustrations by Werner Zimmermann)
Library Mouse by Daniel Kirk (that’s a favourite because the librarian in the book is named “Mrs. Forrester”)

Junior Fiction:
Kalifax by Duncan Thornton
Horten’s Miraculous Mechanisms by Lissa Evans
Lionheart’s Scribe by Carleen Bradford
The Pirate Captain’s Daughter by Eve Bunting
Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary

Non-fiction:
Photographs that changed the World by Lorraine Monk
Bossypants by Tina Fey
The Oxford Treasury of Classic Poems

Fiction (My favourite genre because it sheds light on human struggles in a way that non-fiction cannot.)
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
The Water is Wide by Pat Conroy
The Purchase by Linda Spalding
The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway.

My Favourite of all time:  Who has seen the Wind by W. O. Mitchell.

No comments:

Post a Comment